Each spring, our flagship station, WRCT 88.3 FM, holds an event called “Massive Music Weekend,” where DJs spotlight a certain artist or group for a half-hour at a time. It sometimes results in trainwreck segues, but it can also be a lot of fun.
Last year, I did half-hour sets of Bill Haley and Little Richard. You were up at 5 a.m. Sunday morning to hear those, right?
(It also means “Radio 9” will be pre-empted on Saturday, Feb. 25, and will air only on Tube City Online Radio. Plan your day accordingly.)
Anyway, this year, “MMW” is the weekend of Feb. 24-26. I don’t participate every year, but I’m planning this year. On social media, I asked listeners to throw out suggestions for bands and artists they’d like me to feature.
Here are the suggestions I’ve received so far. Feel free to leave your suggestion in the comments:
- Clarence “Frogman” Henry, Chuck Berry, The Coasters — Denise
- Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones — Richard
- The Zombies and The Association – Jody
- Tom Lehrer — Kevin
- Frankie Avalon — David
- Jay and The Americans — Drew
- Mitch Miller, Percy Faith, Dion & the Belmonts or Herman’s Hermits — Patrick
- Nina Simone (“post-giving-a-f—k-about-white-people era”) — Nick
- The Troggs — Francine
- Louis Prima and Keeley Smith — Maureen
- Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson — Bob
- All-girl groups from New York City, New Jersey and Long Island — Steve
- Dorsey Burnett (“so corny and yet so appealing”) — Doug
- “Death Rock: ‘Tell Laura I Love Her,’ ‘Dead Man’s Curve,’ and of course ‘I Want My Baby Back'” — Stuart
- The Soul Spinners (“before, during, and after Sam Cooke was with them”) — “Mando Richard”
- “How about a [David Crosby] tribute?” — Bill
- Tommy James — Shawn
- The Dave Clark Five — Eric
These are all good suggestions. I’m going to ignore the person who said “Tiny Tim.” I’d rather do an hour of Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods.